top of page


History 3.jpg
History 4.jpg
History 1.jpg
History 2.jpg

Racing on Great South Bay emerged in the late 1880s when wealthy Brooklyn and New York yachtsman who summered in the area raced against local, year-round resident, trade sailors, who often acted as paid skippers. They raced shallow-draft boats, built either by professional or amateur builders, in separate classes rated by length. These early classes, the larger, sloop-rigged P, Q and R classes, and the smaller V, W, and X catboats suited the shoal water of Great South Bay. The yachtsman formed yacht clubs as a base for sailing activity to promote sociability and recreation among members and to encourage proficiency in members handling their yachts. Membership was originally limited to men, and at each club some strong personalities desiring the fastest boat for racing emerged and strong social ties were formed. These early racing sailors recognized the necessity to link individuals and their clubs together. On September 27, 1906, J. Adolf Mollenhauer, Commodore of Penataquit Corinthian Yacht Club in Bay Shore held a meeting at his club to found the Great South Bay Yacht Racing Association. Attendees William Candee of Penataquit, Alexander N. Cook of Bellport Bay Yacht Club, Francis Williams and Edward Bleecker of Unqua Corinthian Yacht Club, Charles Searle and Joseph W. Lawrence of Babylon Yacht Club, and Joseph Wood and Dr. George E. Rice of South Side Yacht Club in Sayville united to promote more organized racing. Mollenhauer was elected President and Lawrence was elected Secretary and Treasurer. Delegates who represented each Member Club and the Officers and Chairmen of Committees ran the organization. The founders wrote a Constitution and By-Laws to establish the authority and rules to operate, and organized a multitude of racing opportunities. Soon the original member clubs were joined by South Shore Yacht Club in Patchogue. ​ Many traditions began. Member clubs and the Association provided elaborate, silver prizes for these races and engraved the name of the winning yacht beneath the name of the trophy, date and place. For the first annual Cruise Week in 1907, the Association published a Registry of Yachts, and established and published handicaps in a 6 by 9 inch pamphlet, which eventually become a small book published yearly. Another early tradition, to retire a trophy after the same person won it three times, began and this resulted in most early perpetual trophies not being in the possession of the Association. The Association also began to include more clubs. The Association established many perpetual prizes and traditions during the decade beginning with 1920. A Special Prize in 1920 for Cruise Week, now called Race Week, was awarded to the yacht making the fastest time over the course at Sayville. It was won by Constance a P Class yacht. Subsequent winners were: 1921 Eagle, 1922 Dixie, 1923 Bee, 1924 Invader, 1925 Avis, 1926 Eskawaja, 1927 Constance, 1928 Avis, 1929 and 1930 Edna, 1931 Windward II, 1932 to 1935 Constance and Duncan Arnold. And, the Association grew when the Yacht Squadron of Westhampton left the Yacht Racing Association of Southeastern Long Island to join GSBYRA in 1922. The first advertisement appeared on the back cover of the Association yearbook to help defray the publishing cost in 1927, and the Association awarded a gold, perpetual Fire Island Cup, to a registered yacht receiving the greatest number of points in her class in Race Week, provided 4 boats started and finished in class in 5 scheduled races. First won by Montauk year future recorded winners were: 1928 and 1929 TorrupII, 1930 and 1931 to Buddy Smith in an M class sloop. The Gil Smith Perpetual Trophy was given by owners of P Class boats for the P boat with largest number of points during invitations and cruise week. Recorded winners included 1929 and 1930 Edna, and 1931 Constance. The Brown’s River Trophy was given by Sayville to the yacht with the best performance during Cruise Week by selecting only the score from the yacht’s single best race. The Commodore George A. Corry Trophy (father and organizer of Star Class) was established for the Star class in 1929. Recorded winners were: 1929 Budsal II Frank Robinson, 1930 and 1931 Wings C. & J. Pflug, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935 H. Meislan and L. R. Bowdan, Jr., and 1936 to 1940 Draco II, skippered by Edward V. Ketcham, Jr. ​ By the 25th anniversary of the Association in 1931, twelve member clubs extended from Freeport to Quogue. Under the leadership of President Edward V. Ketcham, the 1931 member clubs included Babylon Yacht Club (1906), Bay Shore Yacht Club (1906), Bellport Bay Yacht Club (1906), Cedarhurst Yacht Club, Fire Island Yacht Club (1927), Point O’ Woods Yacht Club, Sayville Yacht Club, Shinnecock Yacht Club (1930), South Shore Yacht Club (1907), Timber Point Yacht Club (1926), Unqua Corinthian Yacht Club (1906), and Yacht Squadron of Westhampton (1922). The Association as a member of the North American Yacht Racing Union published the rules of racing in the yearbook. When NAYRU established junior triple-handed and women’s championship competitions, the Association formed the Gulden and Morgan competitions. Commodore Frank Gulden donated a silver relief plaque made by Tiffany for the junior championship and Henry Morgan donated a silver bowl for the women’s championship. A new tradition began as these trophies were engraved with the names of winner and medals were given to the winners to keep instead of the trophy. Commodore William H. Picken donated a midget championship trophy for children younger than juniors, and the Association donated the Great South Bay Bowl for an eight Association Middle Atlantic Championship. As the numbers of boats racing increased to larger numbers within classes, other innovations came into existence. The 1936 Association year book listed class captain orders for Race Week etiquette, more advertising, and paragraphs of tips “From the Crows Nest” by Skippers Mate. Divisions were made within classes and skippers needed to check the yacht club bulletin boards daily for section assignments to a division. In the Star Class, when 20 or more Stars raced, 2 sections were made. First division boats were required to carry a white 4 by 12 inch streamer on their boom. The Association established the Harry Growtage Memorial Cup for the fastest corrected time over a designated course to be sailed in a Labor Day Regatta in 1939 to replace the retired Queen of the Bay Cup. Requirements included that the race be held under the auspices of a GSBYRA Member Club, confined to restricted classes, and only boats having entered and completed a race in at least 4 Invitation regattas during the season were eligible. It was awarded to Querida, an R Class boat from Babylon. The Association followed the lead of NAYRU and in 1952 established a men’s championship for the Fenner Bowl. ​ By the 50th anniversary of the Association, fourteen member clubs comprised the roster under President E. Carleton Arink. In 1956 the member clubs included Babylon Yacht Club, Bayberry Yacht Club, Bay Shore Yacht Club, Bellport Bay Yacht Club, Cedarhurst Yacht Club, Domino Yacht Club, Moriches Yacht Club, Narrasketuck Yacht Club, Point O’ Woods Yacht Squadron, Quantuck Yacht Club, Sayville Yacht Club, Shinnecock Yacht Club, South Bay Cruising Club, and Westhampton Yacht Squadron. ​ In an innovative move in 1964, the Association purchased 8 Mobjack class boats for triple-handed championship competition. It was one of the few Associations to own boats. With a high number of competitors, the Association often divided competition into an east and west sub division before a run off competition. The Association Mobjack fleet had many storage areas during their life span: the marshy area now the Maritime Museum, later the Snapper Inn, Moriches Yacht Club, and in 1973 the Long Island Yacht Club. During the sixties, the Association established the Westin and Shinnecock Championships in response to NAYRU establishing single-handed competitions for adults and juniors. When NAYRU changed its name in 1975 to the United States Yacht Racing Union, the Association became a member of USYRU. By 1978, the Association embarked on a three year fund raising initiative to purchase 6 new Mobjacks to replace the aging original fleet. And, once again the Association grew with Magoun Landing, a local property owners group, becoming a member in 1980. ​ By the 75th anniversary of the Association, seventeen member clubs comprised the roster under President William B. Ludlum. In 1981 the member clubs included Babylon Yacht Club, Bayberry Yacht Club, Bay Shore Yacht Club, Bellport Bay Yacht Club, Cedarhurst Yacht Club, Hempstead Bay Yacht Club, Long Island Yacht Club, Magoun Landing Yacht Club, Moriches Yacht Club, Narrasketuck Yacht Club, Point O’ Woods Yacht Squadron, Saltaire Yacht Club, Sayville Yacht Club, South Bay Cruising Club, Unqua Corinthian Yacht Club, Westhampton Yacht Squadron, and Wet Pants Sailing Association. Finally the Association purchased new Mobjacks in 1981 with donations received from nearly three dozen individuals and ten clubs: Babylon, Bayberry, Bay Shore, Bellport Bay, Hempstead Bay, Moriches, Narrasketuck, Sayville, Wet Pants and Westhampton. ​ As USYRU added more championships, the Association established the Furman match race Championship and the Patin double-handed junior Patin Championship and made more bold moves. Membership in the Association rose to eighteen clubs in 1982 when Hobie Fleet 124 joined. The Association added a $10 sustaining membership category. Another innovation by President Glenn Schmidt established a Scholarship Fund and the Association awarded sailing grants to three recipients in 1988 from contributions to the fund. USYRU evolved into US SAILING in 1991 and Bay Shore Yacht Club became the home for the Association owned Mobjacks in 1992. As one of the eight members of a Midget Championship Association, the Association established the single-handed Orr Championship in 1993. Eight Association clubs also sponsored Friday junior regattas in 1993. For 1997 the Optimist replaced the Sunfish in the Association midget championship. Both Hobie Fleet 124 and Magoun Landing disbanded and left the Association in 2002, twenty years after joining. The Association developed a website in 2004 to aid communication. And finally the Club 420 replaced the Mobjack for the Picken midget championship in 2005. ​ For the 100th Anniversary sixteen clubs remained members of the Association headed by President John Everitt. The Association designated its website as the official voice and amended the By-Laws to create new membership categories that included more types of sailing organizations. And President Everitt encouraged the after race party tradition be revived at Race Week and Invitational Regattas. The Association encouraged replacing the aging Mobjack championship fleet with another class boat narrowing the selection to the Flying Scot and encouraged Member Clubs to purchase a club-owned Flying Scot that could be used for the triple-handed championships and for adult sailing lessons. After raising funds, the Association purchased two factory refurbished Flying Scots for charter and twelve identical suits of sails for competition in 2007.  Glenn Schmidt and President Gerard Holwell drove to Maryland to transport the boats north to Bay Shore Yacht Club. Glenn found buyers for the six Mobjacks. Russell and Lenny Pearson handled the Flying Scots for charter in the triple-handed championships, assigned sails from the inventory to all competitors, and inspected returned boats and sail inventory after each event. All triple-handed championship competitors were now required to sail either a club owned or chartered GSBYRA Flying Scot with Association owned sails used only for those events. Additionally all bay championships used sailing instructions generated according to GSBYRA outlines. Next the Association purchased an enclosed trailer that Jerry Holwell outfitted with shelves for the storage of the sail inventory, and Jerry arranged for the trailer to reside at Bay Shore Yacht Club. Triple-handed championships could now be held at any club, not just at Bay Shore as had been the practice. Several organizations expressed interest in joining the Association during 2009. The Association’s first female President, MaryAnn Deering, appointed a committee to investigate the organizations and provide recommendations. Seaview Sailing Yacht Club became a Provisionary Member in 2009. Shinnecock Yacht Club returned as a Full Member Club and South Bay Watersports Association became a Full Member of GBSYRA in 2010. The ebb and flow of similarities and constant change created over one hundred years of historic and exalted competition on Great South Bay. Competition flooded the bay with enough boats to promote the development of one design rules for building yachts. Management of class competition surged within and among member clubs. Races run at various clubs led to an organized schedule to be agreed upon. Dominant personalities emerged and camaraderie swelled as members traveled and bonded at single day to week long, week end and multiple day events. Uniforms distinguished Committees and Officers from competitors. Innovative design and different boat building materials spawned the change from gaff rig to Marconi rig, from cotton sail to Dacron sail, from wood hull to fiberglass hull, from wood spar, rudder, centerboard, and tiller to aluminum spar, rudder, centerboard and tiller, from displacement hull to planning hull, from single-hull to multiple-hull, and eventually to include carbon fiber everywhere. A few changes overwhelmed and submerged some clubs and classes into extinction. And finally, a lofty change emerged from the coalition of clubs and strong personalities to recognize female participation and leadership within the clubs that spilled over into the Association. Changes are inevitable, yet the love of sailing and competition never cease. ​ Several excerpts from A History of Westhampton Yacht Squadron 1890-1965 by Standish Medina quote Mrs. McClintock remembering her youth. “Just as sailing was the basis of that life, so racing was the thrill of it: All talk was of sail area, overall length, time allowance, every phase of racing receiving the keenest attention. For that was no idle, light minded sport, and each youthful captain was out to win - in fact, was sure he would win”. “The boat built, next in importance was the selection of crew, and no skipper worthy of the name chose his crew for friendship’s sake alone but scoured about for bluff and heavy tars who were light on their feet, strong in their arms and (with 3-reef gales in mind) a bit on the plump side. The crew secured, there began practice; in fair weather and in foul, in blistering calm and in drenching gale, all to get them attuned to the idiosyncrasies of the boat, to know when, in a calm, to lie flat and light in the cockpit, scarcely breathing, and when, in a gale, to throw themselves, heavy and tense on their luckless stomachs, far over the side and let the waves wash where they would.” The lore of racing sailboats continues unchanged.


ARTICLE I NAME B-1 The name of this organization shall be "Great South Bay Yacht Racing Association".    a. The insignia of this organization shall be a drawing as illustrated in these By-Laws, of the Fire Island Lighthouse surrounded by two concentric circles between which appear the words: Great South Bay Yacht Racing Association, Long Island, NY. The colors shall be a medium shade of green on a white background. b. The burgee of the organization shall be a white rectangular flag with the insignia printed in green in its center.    ARTICLE II OBJECTIVE B-2 The objectives of this Association shall be to:    • Promote sailboat racing, recreational and educational sailing, boat building, on the water safety, and maritime heritage. • Improve communication among member clubs, fleets, and sailors. • Establish the use of the Racing Rules of Sailing set forth by the International Sailing Federation. • Coordinate a schedule of racing dates each year. • Schedule and run the championship races as prescribed by US SAILING. ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP B-3 Membership categories in the Great South Bay Yacht Racing Association shall be those listed, for which application shall be made in writing to the Secretary of the Association, on forms provided by the Secretary. The application shall be accompanied by a check to the Association for the annual dues in that category. B-3.1 Full Member Club    a. Full Member Clubs shall be yacht clubs and sailing organizations that have an established and sustainable presence on the south shore of Long Island, New York, shall be not for profit entities with the desire and capability to conduct races organized by GSBYRA, and shall foster the objectives of this Association. Full Member Clubs pay a one time Initiation Fee equal to the Annual Dues. Only Delegates from Full Member Clubs are entitled to vote. b. Application to become a Full Member Club shall be referred to the Membership Committee that shall be appointed when necessary by the President of the Association with the approval of the Executive Committee. Such Membership Committee will review the application and recommend approval or disapproval to the Executive Committee within sixty days. The Executive Committee shall then present the application to the Full Member Clubs with a recommendation of approval to elect the applicant to Provisionary Membership for one year or with a recommendation that the application be denied. The Secretary shall mail a notice containing the recommendation of the Executive Committee together with the notice of regular or special meeting at which such recommendation will be voted upon to each Full Member Club at least two weeks previous to the time of holding such meeting. A majority vote of the Full Member Clubs present at such meeting shall be necessary for the approval of Provisionary Membership. If the applicant is approved for Provisionary Membership, it shall thereupon pay the Annual Dues. c. At the end of one year, the Provisionary Member Club shall either request Permanent Full Membership or withdraw from being a Full Member Club in the Association. Withdrawal from the Association may be by formal written statement, or by failure to request, within sixty days from the first anniversary of election as a Provisionary Full Member, approval to Full Member Club. When Permanent Full Membership is requested, the Membership Committee will evaluate contributions made by the Provisionary Member to the Association and will recommend approval or disapproval of the request for Permanent Full Membership within sixty days to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will in turn make its recommendation to the Full Member Clubs by similar notice as given for Provisionary Membership, and in like fashion, a majority vote of the Full Member Clubs present will be required to approve Permanent Full Membership. When Permanent Full Membership is approved, the new Full Member Club shall pay the Initiation Fee in addition to the Annual Dues. ​ B-3.2 Affiliated Member Affiliated Members shall be sailing organizations or other groups such as museums or boat building centers located on the south shore of Long Island, New York, with the desire and interest to foster the objectives of this organization, and shall be not for profit entities. Affiliated Members shall pay Annual Dues equal to Full Member dues and are not entitled to vote. B-3.3 Life Member Any member of any Full Member Club may become a Life Member of the Association upon payment of Life Member's dues in such amount as may be set from time to time by the Executive Committee. A Life Member is not entitled to vote unless he or she is the authorized voting Delegate of his or her Full Member Club. B-3.4 Associate Member Any member of any Full Member Club or Affiliated Members may become an Associate Member of the Association upon payment of Associate Member dues in such amount as may be set from time to time by the Executive Committee. An Associate Member is not entitled to vote unless he or she is the authorized voting Delegate of his or her Full Member Club. Full Member Clubs and Affiliated Members are requested to have their members become Associate Members in order to support the objectives and mission of the Association. B-3.5 Sponsoring Member Sponsoring Members are businesses or individuals that foster the objectives of the Association with an annual monetary contribution. Sponsoring Members are not entitled to vote. The Association and Executive Committee may set the amounts for each category from time to time and will recognize sponsors by category.    • President’s Club • Benefactor • Supporting Member • Sustaining Member   ARTICLE IV OFFICERS B-4 The Officers of the Association shall be members of Full Member Clubs and shall be:    • President • First Vice President • Second Vice President • Secretary • Treasurer • Chairman of the Race Committee    a. An officer may be designated a voting Delegate of his club. b. Officers shall be elected at the Annual Meeting and shall hold office from the date of their election until the next Annual Meeting or until the election of their successors. c. A Fleet Captain may be appointed by and hold office at the pleasure of the President.   ARTICLE V COMMITTEES B-5 Executive Committee - There shall be an Executive Committee whose members shall be members of Full Member Clubs. The Committee shall be:    • President • First Vice President • Second Vice President • Secretary • Treasurer • Chairman of the Race Committee • Chairman of the Appeals Committee • One Delegate from each Full Member Club, who may or may not be an officer of the Association. Delegates to the Executive Committee shall be designated by their respective Full Member Clubs. B-6 Nominating Committee - There shall be a Nominating Committee of five elected at each Annual Meeting to serve for the ensuing year, none of whom shall be an officer of the Association and no two of whom shall be a representative of the same Full Member Club. B-7 Race Committee - There shall be a Race Committee whose members shall be appointed by the Chairman of the Race Committee. B-8 Appeals Committee - There shall be an Appeals Committee whose members shall be appointed by the Chairman of the Appeals Committee. B-9 Scholarship Grants Committee - There shall be a Scholarship Grants Committee whose members shall be appointed in accordance with the GSBYRA Scholarship Fund Charitable Trust Declaration of Trust. (5/6/21) ARTICLE VI DUTIES OF OFFICERS B-10 President - The President shall be Senior Commodore during Race Week and other events held under the jurisdiction of the Association. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Association and Executive Committee and shall be a member ex-officio of all other committees. The President shall serve as Chairman of the Scholarship (Grants) Committee for the term of his/her election. The President shall be entitled to fly the flag of office adopted by the Association. (5/6/21) B-11 First Vice President - The First Vice President shall assist the President and shall officiate in absence of the President. The First Vice-President shall be a member of the Scholarship (Grants) Committee for the term of his/her election. (5/6/21) B-12 Second Vice President - The Second Vice President shall assist the President and shall officiate in the absence of both the President and First Vice President. B-13 Secretary - The Secretary shall prepare and maintain minutes of meetings of the Association and Executive Committee. The Secretary shall maintain a current roster of membership in the Association and shall be responsible for the correspondence and meeting notices of the Association. B-14 Treasurer - The Treasurer shall collect, receive, and deposit moneys in the name of the Association. The Treasurer shall maintain accounts in banks as approved by the Executive Committee. The Treasurer shall pay financial obligations authorized by the Association or Executive Committee and shall maintain financial records of all transactions. B-15 Chairman of the Race Committee - The Chairman of the Race Committee shall be responsible for the conduct of races held under the jurisdiction of the Association. B-16 Fleet Captain - A Fleet Captain, if appointed, shall communicate with the officers and skippers of the squadron, on behalf of the President. The Fleet Captain shall maintain order in the fleet and while on duty the Fleet Captain shall fly the flag of office adopted by the Association. ARTICLE VII DUTIES OF COMMITTEES B-17 Executive Committee - The Executive Committee shall:    • Manage the affairs and policy of the Association, • Appoint special officers and committees, • Frame measurements and racing rules, • Fill vacancies among officers and the Executive Committee, • Determine and settle questions relating to yacht racing which may be referred to it for decision, • Prepare and approve a budget prior to the Annual Meeting, • Appoint a Delegate to US SAILING, • Appoint a Chairman of the Appeals Committee. B-18 Nominating Committee - The Nominating Committee shall nominate one candidate for each office as designated in Article IV, B-4 of these By-laws. The slate of nominees shall be delivered to the Secretary prior to the Annual Meeting. Other nominations from the floor at the Annual Meeting may be made and seconded from the floor at the Annual Meeting by authorized voting Delegates. B-19 Race Committee - The Race Committee shall conduct and be responsible for races held under the jurisdiction of the Association. B-20 Appeals Committee - The Appeals Committee shall hear all appeals involving solely the interpretation of the racing rules and class regulations. B-21  Scholarship (Grants) Committee - The Scholarship (Grants) Committee shall meet periodically and shall select GSBYRA sailors for grants from the GSBYRA Scholarship Fund Charitable Trust. (5/6/21) B-22 Association meetings - The Annual Meeting of the Association shall be held in the fall of each year. Additional meetings of the Association may be called by the President and shall be called upon the written request of a Full Member Club. Each Full Member Club shall be represented by at least one authorized voting Delegate who should identify himself during the roll call of Full Member clubs. Voting shall be by Full Member Clubs, each Full Member Club having one vote. B-23 Executive Committee meetings - The Executive Committee shall meet at the call of the President or at the request of a Full Member Club. B-24 Committee meetings - Meetings of other committees may be held at the request of the committee's chairman or at the written request of a Full Member club. B-25 Notices of meetings - Notices of meeting shall be distributed to the appropriate Full Member Club's Delegates at least two weeks before the meeting date. A notice of meeting shall contain at least the purpose and the business to be conducted at the meeting. B-26 Location of meeting - Meetings shall be held at locations convenient to the Full Member Clubs, or the Delegates involved. B-27 Quorum - A majority of the Full Member Clubs shall constitute a quorum. Absent Full Member Clubs may vote by written proxy on questions submitted in the notice of meeting. Full Member Clubs voting by proxy shall be counted in attendance for the purpose of constituting a quorum. B-28 Order of business - The order of business shall be:    • Roll call of Full Member Clubs • Reading of the minutes • Report of the Treasurer • Communications to the Secretary • Report of Officers • Report of Standing Committees • Report of Special Committees • Unfinished (old) business • New business • Elections • Adjournment ARTICLE IX ASSESSMENTS B-29 Funds for current expenses shall be raised by dues from Full Member Clubs.    a. A Full Member Club that has not paid its annual assessment for the previous year by July 4th of a current year shall be suspended from membership in the Association. b. Reinstatement of a Full Member Club may be accepted by the Association upon satisfactory settlement of unpaid assessment. ARTICLE X APPEALS B-30 Appeals procedures shall be in accordance with the Racing Rules of Sailing adopted by US SAILING. ARTICLE XI RACING RULES B-31 Racing rules a and management of races shall be in accordance with the Racing Rules of Sailing adopted by US SAILING except, as modified by the Race Committee and published in the Association's year book or Sailing Instructions, and as to classification and measurement of yachts. ARTICLE XII DISSOLUTION B-32 This Association shall not be dissolved so long as a majority of Full Member Clubs desire its continuance. ARTICLE XIII AMENDMENTS B-33 No amendments shall be made to these By-laws unless a notice containing a copy of the proposed amendments together with the notice of regular or special meeting at which such amendments will be voted upon shall be mailed to each Full Member Club at least two weeks previous to the time of holding such meeting. A two-thirds vote of the Full Member Clubs present at such meeting shall be necessary for the adoption of any such amendment.       Effective 5/06/2021

history of race week

Race Week has been an important part of the history of Great South Bay Yacht Racing Association since the organization was founded. Initially it was held off a different club each day as a cruise week to begin at Babylon Yacht Club, move to South Side Yacht Club in Sayville, then on to Bellport Bay Yacht Club, and finally end at South Bay Yacht Club in Patchogue. Sailors raced during the afternoon, rendezvoused at night, then sailed or were towed on to the next location for the following race. Cruise Week was established in 1907. The earliest surviving mention of race week is a Bellport Bay Yacht Club Program and Instructions for Regattas to be sailed over the Club Course during the Season of 1913. From the beginning an entry fee was required and the race scheduled for 1400. An annual Association Special Prize Cup was awarded for the yacht making the fastest corrected time on a designated course for the first time in 1920. Cruise Week 1924 began with evening entertainment at Unqua Corinthian Yacht Club and races at Babylon, Bay Shore, Bellport Bay and Sayville Yacht Clubs. Two special prizes were offered for boats sailing those races. Commodore Pearson offered an SS Class prize and Chairman of the Race Committee Harry Growtage offered an SB Class prize. The Association appointed George H. Walbridge of Babylon to measure all courses. Regular class prizes were awarded by the club over whose course the race was held. An often overlooked note is that three days of predicted log motor boat races became part of Race Week in 1925. Five Cups were awarded: two Carrillo Cups presented by Leo Carrillo of South Shore Yacht Club of Freeport, one for first class Cruisers and one to Elco Cruisettes; the Gillespie Cup presented by Commodore S. H. Gillespie of Westhampton to 2nd class Cruisers; the Schreiber Cup presented by R. A. Schreiber of South Shore to 3rd class Cruisers; and the Pinkham Cup presented by F. C. Pinkham of Bellport Bay to Speedboats. Printed pamphlets of yachts in GSBYRA which list courses at Babylon, Bay Shore, Sayville and Bellport Bay Yacht Clubs, a dozen classes of yachts, yacht numbers, yacht names, owner names and time allowances exist from 1924 through 1926. From 1927 through 1929 small, stapled together Register books exist for Cruise Week with the GSBYRA logo on the front cover and an advertisement on the back cover. From 1924 to the present year, a 6 by 9 inch book serves as a yearbook to list the GSBYRA race schedule for the season, winners of trophies and other pertinent information. In 1927 a fifth race day at Point O’ Woods was added between Bay Shore and Sayville race days. In 1936, Race Week expanded to a sixth race day when Timber Point was added to the schedule between Point O’ Woods and Sayville, then dropped by 1938, when Bay Shore replaced Babylon with two race days and Patchogue replaced Bellport Bay with two race days. In 1927, Fire Island donated a Gold Cup perpetual trophy to the yacht club whose registered yacht received the greatest number of points in her class, provided that an average number of 4 boats start in her class in the 5 races scheduled. The Middleton Trophy for the Cruiser handicap race of power boats was awarded for a 23 mile race at Fire Island Yacht Club in 1928. One design classes emerged. Exciting episodes of storms at night, mad bailing to keep tows afloat, losing a tow or two, taps on a bugle, dances, clam chowder at Point O’ Woods, a four hour ordeal across Patchogue Bay and around Howell’s Point to Bellport in the teeth of a cold, rainy easterly gale mark colorful events in the history of Cruise Week. World War II restrictions halted Cruise Week as it had existed and brought racing to a central location. With smaller fleet participation and one 2:00 race per day scheduled, Cruise Week became a six day Race Week. Bay Shore Yacht Club hosted Race Week during 1941-45. After the war Race Week shifted to Timber Point Club on Nicoll Bay during 1946-1954. The Star Class raced two series concurrently. That additional trophy, The Corry Cup excluded the Monday race for a total of 5 races. Wednesday night the Star Class held a dinner and on Saturday night the Narrasketuck Class sponsored a dance at no charge. Launch service was provided by the Timber Point Club. As Chairman of the Race Committee in 1946, Louis Delafield started Narrasketucks in two divisions, often 40 boats per division. Participation in Race Week declined from about 340 boats in 1936 to about 90 boats in 1954. President Cappy Arink resumed Race Week as Cruise Week, with Delafied as Chairman in 1955, imploring families to participate and welcoming the Cruising Club as a member of the Association. The Coast Guard patrolled the courses. That year the fleet raced at Babylon on Monday, proceeded to Bay Shore, Point O’ Woods, Bellport Bay, and finished at Westhampton on Saturday. Course charts were printed in the book along with the registered yachts by class. The following year, for the 50th Anniversary of the Association, Cruise and Race Week began with a beach party rendezvous at Moriches, and continued on the successive days with racing off Westhampton, Bellport, Point O’ Woods, Bay Shore, and ended with two race days at Babylon, with a social event scheduled for each night. Participation increased. Cruise and Race Week subsequently alternated direction on the bay each year. The social events evolved into huge family gatherings ashore. John Fenner succeeded Delafield as Chairman of the Race Committee in 1958, initiated separate turning marks for two groups into the schedule, and printed handicaps for 30 classes in the book. Participation was over 300 boats. The Association yearbook named a season champion in each class. The 1959 book published the Racing Rules of the North American Yacht Racing Union adopted for that year. At Race Week John Titterington created controversy after three first place finishes with the light weight Narrasketuck he had built over the winter. He then placed second, fourth and fifth in following races. Frank St. John won the class followed by septuagenarian Wilbur Ketchum. Minimum weight became a strong issue in the class. President Fenner and Chairman of the Race Committee John O. Zimmerman adapted a uniform scoring system in 1960 to determine Race Week winners and used the Cox-Sprague system to determine season champions; required a yacht club identification emblem with the participant’s name; and required each club to provide chaperones for the activities ashore. Tropical Storm Brenda damaged about three dozen boats at Race Week in Babylon on July 30, 1960 to force the cancelation of the final race. Charlie Axtmann’s Narrasketuck Teaser 143 won the class, but another storm brewed. The class protested the decision due to Axtmann’s refusal to comply with a request for weigh-in and measurement. George Furman, an attorney threatened a $25,000 law suit against the Narrasketuck Class when his boat weighed in under the minimum weight. Narrasketuck Class attorney Wilmurt Linker settled on the mathematical average weight, 860 pounds, of the last eight boats built. By 1962 Chairman Zimmerman initiated separate divisions carrying colored streamers in some classes: 3 divisions of Blue Jays, 2 of Beetle Cats and Sailfish. He grouped midget divisions of Blue Jay, Beetle Cat, Tech Dinghy and Seaford Skiff into their own signal sequence as well. Louis Orr succeeded Zimmerman as Chairman of the Race Committee in 1962. Most one design skippers dry sailed their boats by the early 1960’s and permanent hoists were available for launching and lifting out at Babylon, Bay Shore, Sayville and Bellport Bay, while a crane was used at Long Island. Bay Shore and Bayberry sponsored a supper dance at the Brightwaters Beach and Cabana Club. Another type of boat made its appearance on the bay for the first time. Skippers raced the first multihull boats, Cougar, Thai, Tiger Cat, and Cat Fish classes at club races, with the Pacific Cat and B Lion classes first racing in the 1966 Race Week. Chairman of Race Week John E. Barnes of Narrasketuck conducted a different format for 1967 in an effort to increase participation. Races were held for two days at each of 3 clubs: Long Island, Bay Shore, and Sayville. That year the GSBYRA book listed participation by class and by the 18 member clubs beginning with 1960 Race Week data. Participation had declined from 292 boats to 228 boats. Alternating the racing direction of the Race Week Clubs continued yearly. In 1969, John J. Fauth succeeded Barnes as Chairman of the Race Committee. Fauth was followed as Chairman by Harvey McChesney of Bellport in 1972. Under President Ted Zimmerman the entire Race Week format returned to Great River. Class Captains were appointed to stimulate participation and provide input into courses, class start sequence and number of times around the course. For many years until his death in 1973, John Fanelli, a reporter for the New York Times, sat below deck on the committee boat and typed results to be published the following day. The highest participation recorded by catamarans with over 30 Hobie Cats and 10 Tornado Class cats was during the mid 1970’s. Afterward, they slowly declined in numbers. In 1979 Bill Ludlum became Chairman, to be succeeded in 1980 by Richard M. Daytz. Another Race Week format developed by President Bill Ludlum for the 75th anniversary year held 6 races over 4 consecutive days at Babylon and included a throw out race. Crew prizes were awarded for the first time and participation averaged about 115 boats. Later in 1985, President Bud St. John of Babylon and his Chairman Ralph B. Maust of Bellport spanned Race Week over two weekends at Bay Shore. Maust was succeeded by Bill Ludlum as Chairman in 1987. President Lawrence N. Deering of Bellport and his Chairman Phillip Linker of Sayville returned Race Week to a single location over 4 days at Sayville in 1988 and invited PHRF auxiliary yachts to participate. A dozen Lasers and 11 PHRF yachts increased participation that year. The following two years Race Week was held at Bay Shore and Babylon respectively. In 1998, three separate race courses, each with their own race committee, were set up for Optimist, one design divisions and PHRF fleets. This practice continued into 2006 along with the rotation of Race Week continuing among those three clubs. Race Week 2007 made history as Frances Graham of Westhampton Yacht Squadron became the first female Chairman of the Race Week Race Committee. Fran's innovation of grouping classes together for one design and PHRF starts shortened the sequence and allowed starts to be taken in any order. Optimist sailors continued to have their own course. Fran served again as Chairman in 2008 at Bellport Bay Yacht Club, who after nearly fifty years once again hosted Race Week. Tom Conlin of Bellport Bay Yacht Club became Race Week Chairman in 2009 under President MaryAnn Deering. Conlin continued grouping classes together for the start, and used a separate start and finish boats. President Deering presided over Race Week 2010 held at Westhampton Yacht Squadron for the first time in more than five decades. As Race Week Chairpersons, both Conlin and Graham were certified US SAILING race officers. Ending with Standish F. Medina’s continued quote from Mrs. McClintock is appropriate. “Finally the great day would come.” “Moorings were cast off and the great fleet of boats, like a tremendous flock of gleaming white birds, bore down on the starting line. What a scene of activity it was there: speeding launches, hurrying rowboats, busy officials, enthusiastic fans, pennants, racing stakes, guns, all the paraphernalia of the regatta. Then the jockeying for position, the Machiavellian planning as each skipper did his best to be first over the line when the gun gave the starting signal; the captain sat alert and keen, eyes flashing from starting line to opponents; the sheet tender squatted behind him, muttering advice and warning, the time-keeper, in low, tense tones counted: ‘1 minute to go - 30 seconds - 15-14---3-2-1!’ Bang! and off they sped, a bunched group, seemingly a most intricate tangle of hulls, sails and halyards. But soon the faster boats would pull ahead and a long, lovely line of flying sails would string out down the course as the captains settled to their business of outsailing and outthinking each other. Away and away the little crafts flew, almost alive in their quick response to wind and helm, as a stake was rounded, and graceful, sensitive boat pointed up or hauled off on a new course. The intent, keen crews did their appointed tasks with mathematical precision and then once again settled down to a long sail to the next stake. Sometimes the distance was covered by tacking into the wind, and then it was ‘all hands on the windward side!’, and often away over the side; sometimes by a long leg before the wind, with the crew in the cockpit, motionless to avoid spilling any of the precious breeze from the sail; and again it was a protracted reach, with tension relaxed, and plenty of time to let loose high spirits, - and well do I remember the ridiculous hilarity of those gay intervals. Finally, the last lap of the course, with the first two or three boats grimly fighting it out together: the breathless excitement as one or another pulled ahead, the over flowing glee of the winners, as they sped down the home stretch, helmsman and crew beaming and jubilant, and the gallant little boat proudly flashing over the finish line. The gun boomed, the flags dipped, and on the shore the crowds cheered, proud parents attempted to look unconcerned, and fat little brothers and sisters leaped and squealed in highest glee, - and the race was over. Over, yes, but as the boats got under way for their home ports, all young crews would have one topic of conversation: the next race; how their boats would be tuned up a bit, some mistake in sailing or in strategy remedied; how, in fact, each one would be sure to win the next time. And so it went, through the long, lighthearted months, until the sad day when the boats were dismantled and put up for the winter, when the hoarde of reluctant sailors turned away from nautical affairs, and went back to the city to study - and to dream of last summer’s joys and next summer’s triumphs.” The thrill remains!

history of queen of the bay

The Queen of the Bay Race is one of the oldest events on Great South Bay.This traditional twelve mile long event began when P and Q class yachts of varying size started at the same time and raced the same course, with the winner determined by the best corrected time. Howard Arthur Gibbs’ Bonnie Doon won the first trophy on record in 1893. Defiance owner Charles Baker won the 1896 trophy. Regis H. Post of Penataquit Corinthian Yacht Club in Bay Shore had Constance built in 1899 and won the trophy that year. The Suffolk County News quoted baymen about Constance "as the smartest thing that ever sailed". Post donated a sterling silver, two feet high, Queen of the Bay Loving Cup in 1900 and his Constance won it at Penataquit Corinthian Yacht Club. The 1901 trophy was won by Wynnabust sailed by Charles D. Brower of Shinnecock Yacht Club. Post’s Constance won again in 1902 and eventually retired the trophy by wining it three times. Charles R. Brower' Frontinac won in 1905, and Harry O. Havemeyer's Toby won in 1906. After GSBYRA was formed handicaps were calculated by a GSBYRA Handicap Chairman, and the boat’s owner had to belong to a GSBYRA club and had to race the boat on the bay. The next recorded winner was Horace Havemeyer’s Electra in 1908, followed by J. E. Rudolf’s Q class Dixie in 1909, W. R. Simmons’ Surprise in 1910, Post’s Constance again in 1911, J. E. Rudolf’s Eagle in 1912, C. F. Westin’s Dixie in 1913, W. C. Kramer’s Challenger in 1914, Gilbert Douglas’ Q class Invader in 1915 and 1916. The 1916 race was decided after an appeal by Douglas against Belle Baruch sailing Miladi, a Bellport Bay One Design and the first boat on corrected time over the twelve mile course, not to mention first time a woman would have won. Miladi was disqualified after the measurer confirmed that the BB class boats, now with jib booms added, sagged and sat lower in the water, which changed thier handicap rating. C. F. Westin’s Dixie skippered by Captain Jim Zegel of West Sayville won the trophy in 1917, then later Dick and Bud Ludeman’s Dixie in 1919, 1920,1921, and 1922, retiring two sterling silver Queen of the Bay Loving Cups. Charlie McGrafly’s P2 won the trophy in 1924, followed by W. M. Cranes’ Avis in 1925, Gilbert Douglas’ Invader in 1926, Northam Warren’s Constance in 1927, Crane’s Avis in 1928, J. Phillips' Q class Stranger in 1929, Northam Warren’s P class Edna in 1930, and Bayard Dod’s Windward II, a Q class scow in 1931, 1932, and 1933 retired yet another trophy. Duncan Arnold’s R boat Querida won in 1934 and 1935, and H, Lebaire’s Q class Scandal in 1936, 1937, and 1938 retired another trophy. GSBYRA is not in possession of these older trophies. In 1939, a bowl donated by GSBYRA in memory of Harry Growtage was awarded to the first yacht, Duncan C. Arnold's R class Querida on corrected time. William Bonyon's Interclub Typhoon won in 1940. James R. Topping's R class Hurricane won in 1941. Arnold's Querida won again in 1942. No races were sailed during World War II from 1943 through 1945. Thereafter winners are recorded on the trophy page. Captain John T. Tuthill, publisher of the Patchogue Advance newspaper donated a second trophy in 1956, the Patchogue Advance Trophy for the first yacht to finish on corrected time. That Patchogue Advance Trophy was eventually retired after being won three times and Tuthill replaced it with the Great South Bay Handicap Bowl. Ted Everitt, a former Commodore of Bellport Bay Yacht Club and a Past President of GSBYRA donated a third trophy in 1962 to quell the controversy when the first multihull boat raced and finished first. The Everitt Trophy was awarded to the first yacht to finish regardless of type of hull or rig, and the Growtage Bowl was redesignated for the first conventional, single hull, yacht to finish. Multihull enthusiasts, the Jerome Laviano family, donated the fourth trophy in 1972, the Gallina Cup to be awarded to the first multihull to finish on corrected time. Periodic reviews established changes in how boats qualified to race Queen of the Bay. At one time yachts had to compete in a percentage of GSBYRA Invitational Regattas. Eventually Portsmouth Numbers replaced local bay handicaps. For the Queen of the Bay race the start and the finish consistently remain exciting as boats jockey for best position, and heavy or light air takes its toll over a lengthy course!

past presidents

2023-2024 Rob Gutmann 2021-2022 Alphonse Guardino - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 2019-2020Dave Hale - Westhampton Yacht Club 2017-2018Joe Mullé - Babylon Yacht Club 2015-2016Andrew Hemingway - Babylon Yacht Club & South Bay Cruising 2013-2014Doug Shaw - Sayville Yacht Club 2011-2012Mark Stang - Bay Shore Yacht Club 2009-2010MaryAnn Deering - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 2007-2008Gerard Holwell - Bay Shore Yacht Club 2005-2006John W. Everitt - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 2003-2004Robert Grover - Babylon Yacht Club 2001-2002Gilbert Kelley - Sayville Yacht Club 1998-2000Robert W. Linekin - Bay Shore Yacht Club 1996-1997Russell Pearson - Bay Shore & Bellport Bay Yacht Clubs 1994-1995Philip Linker - Sayville Yacht Club 1992-1993Ralph B. Maust - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 1990-1991David MacDonell - Wet Pants Sailing Association 1988-1989Lawrence N. Deering - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 1986-1987Glenn Schmidt - Bay Shore and Long Island Yacht Clubs 1984-1985Frank L. St. John - Babylon Yacht Club 1982-1983John R. Saxe - Bay Shore Yacht Club 1980-1981William B. Ludlum - Sayville Yacht Club 1978-1979Walter L. Titus III - Bayberry Yacht Club 1976-1977John J. Fauth - Babylon Yacht Club 1974-1975Alex Pearson - Bay Shore Yacht Club 1972-1973Frederic F. Zimmerman - Babylon Yacht Club 1970-1971Louis H. Orr, Jr. - Babylon Yacht Club 1968-1969Owen E. Brooks - Narrasketuck Yacht Club 1966-1967Rowland J. Simes - Westhampton Yacht Squadron 1964-1965Bryan Lawrence - Babylon Yacht Club 1962-1963George C. Palmer - Sayville Yacht Club 1960-1961John D. Fenner - Westhampton Yacht Squadron 1957-1959John O. Zimmerman - Narrasketuck Yacht Club 1955-1956E. Carlton Arink - Babylon Yacht Club 1954Douglas Westin - Sayville Yacht Club 1951-1953Merril N. Foote - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 1948-1952Jay Topping - Point O'Woods Yacht Squadron 1947Harold Halstead - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 1944-1946Theodore T. Everitt - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 1942-1943William C. Foster - Point O'Woods Yacht Squadron 1937-1941William H. Picken - Bay Shore Yacht Club 1935-1936William L. Sayers - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 1930-1934Edward V. Ketcham - Babylon Yacht Club 1928-1929George M. Shepherd - Point O'Woods Yacht Squadron 1923-1927Samuel H. Gillespie - Westhampton Yacht Squadron 1921-1922Louis Smythe - Unqua Corinthian Yacht Club 1920Rolof B. Stanley - Bellport Bay Yacht Club 1918-1919Charles H. Southard - South Shore Yacht Club 1910-1917George E. Rice - South Side Yacht Club 1906-1909J. Adolf Mollenhauer - Penataquit Corinthian Yacht Club

bottom of page